Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Winter Blues

We survived our first "winter storm".
It wasn't as bad as everyone was saying it was going to be.
Thank God for my awesome husband for hiring a snow plow to do our driveway in the morning, so that I wouldn't have to worry about it.
The only thing I am complaining about is the fact that it is frickin' cold outside, and my daughter's gymnastics class was not cancelled.
That means I have to go outside.
I read an article today on militaryspouse.com about the "winter blues" (a common name for seasonal depression).
I totally related to it!

I've never hated a season so much until moving here to Massachusetts. 
I've tried really, really hard to make the best of our family's time here, but I have given up on winter.
The winter months are so depressing, and I honestly feel that I suffer from seasonal depression.
I get moody, lazy, and "bluesy". 
I don't necessarily get depressed.
Depression is a serious medical condition, and I don't think I'm medically depressed.
I just don't like to leave the house, and the thought of leaving the house just stresses me out.

I'm a runner and an outdoorsy person, and when it's 12 degrees outside with no plowed sidewalks, there is no way for me to get outside and run with a jogging stroller and two kids.
The indoor workouts get old, and this girl needs some serious vitamin D.

So I am 1000% sure that the north is not a place that I could make a forever home.
Never.
I can't deal with having the "winter blues" every year for the rest of my life.
I need warm sunshine, and maybe just a few chilly days a year.
I don't need snow unless I am going on a ski trip to Colorado.

I give major kudos to the people who have lived here all their lives, and have "adapted" the the cold winter months. 
I don't think I could.
No way.
No how. 

So here I sit...
counting down the days until we can go somewhere a little warmer...

3 comments:

  1. We got nailed down here on the south shore and have officially had two major winter storms this year. That's not too bad, though.....for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take vitamin D. seriously I live in 9 months of winter a year!! My whole family takes extra vitamin D or we would probably kill each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek! Not envying you with the winter storm! Snow is great when it's just a few inches. It looks like you got more than a few inches!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!