Thursday, February 20, 2014

Needing Some Prayers

I took my son to the doctor today to get his hand looked at.
I hadn't touched the dressing that the burn unit had put on his hand, so it would be my first time seeing his little fingers.
Honestly, I didn't even look at his fingers at the hospital because I was so traumatized.
I remember glancing at these huge blisters that had formed on his tiny hands, and bawling.
The nurses wouldn't let me watch them pop the blisters and cut the dead skin off.
I was so distraught.
It's been two days now, so I thought I could handle it.
I held him down while the doctor delicately cut the dressing off to assess the wound.

A soon as I saw the last layer of gauze come off, I wanted to puke.
It was like something out of a horror movie.
As she reapplied the antibiotic ointment and redress it, my son started screaming in pain.
I started to shake and get dizzy.
I somehow managed to hold it together at the doctor's office.
It wasn't until I got out to the parking lot in my Jeep when the tears started coming uncontrollably.

Never in my life have I ever felt so irresponsible as a parent.
My four year old has never been to the ER for anything other than the occasional high fever.
Even with everyone telling me their horror stories with accidents with their children (some that sounded worse than my situation), it still doesn't make me feel better.

I know accidents happen, and kids get hurt.
It's part of growing up.
I just don't think my 5 month old needs an "accident" like this as part of growing up.
He won't remember this, and won't learn anything from it.

The doctor said these types of burns takes 3 weeks to heal.
I know God can heal on HIS own time.
I've been praying so hard for him to heal quickly and painlessly. 
I don't ask God for much.
Most of my prayers are prayers of thankfulness.
But lately...today...I'm needing some prayers for my son and for me.

8 comments:

  1. I was thinking of your son today. Keeping him in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitley keep him in my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely be keeping him -- and you -- in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww poor little man!! He'll be okay, and so will you! Know that we're all tested for one reason or another and perhaps he may not remember this but you and he will both eventually know that it was something you overcame together! You're a great mom, all will be fine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers sent up for you and his little hand to heal quickly. Maybe this is a growing thing for you. It can be very humbling to go through something like this. I hope you will feel encouraged and not be caught up in the negative thoughts that may cross your mind. The enemy can do quick work with our weaknesses. Don't lose your footing friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it heals quickly. Accidents do happen. My daughter is accident prone and we've been in the ER many times. Yes, I also felt guilty :/ My son was never in the ER! And then she comes along and we're there like every year. So yes, it does happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you have to go through that! Completely not your fault, accidents happen all of the time! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tons of prayers that God will speed up his recovery time! I know it's been said already, but don't beat yourself up. Things happen, this is not your fault. Freak accidents happen!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!