Saturday, May 9, 2015

Military Spouse Appreciation Day

Yesterday was Military Spouse Appreciation Day!
With all the hoopla with Mother's Day at my daughter's school, I didn't get a chance to post about it yesterday. 

(More on Mother's day shenanigans at my daughter's school later)

Since 1984, our nation has taken this day to recognize military spouses. 
 "It was created by President Ronald Reagan, who wanted to raise awareness about just how much spousal commitment helps military personnel get through the worst of times, as well as celebrate the immense love these husbands and wives have for each other that makes this commitment possible."source

I've had the unique opportunity to have been an active duty spouse myself to an active duty Marine!

And at one time...there were TWO SSgt Romers in the Marine Corps!!!
This pic was taken 3 months before Nick got promoted to Gunny.

My husband and I will have been married 7 years this month, and the better part of our marriage (so far) has been as a dual active duty couple.
Since getting out of the Marine Corps in November of 2012, I've taken a backseat and been a military wife.
It's definitely different, and at times challenging to take that "back seat", but we've learned and grown so much as a couple!  

I am a day late, but I wanted to link up to this fun "Military Spouse Link Up" with some fellow milspo bloggers Jen & Amanda and answer some questions about myself!

  //Tell us about yourself and your blog.
I am a PROUD 31 year old Marine Corps veteran of 10 faithful years! 

I was an aviation ordnance technician on F-18 fighter jets and Cobra attack helicopters in the Marines (IYAOYAS!)
My husband and I met on the rifle range during our annual Marine Corps rifle qualification (romantice, right?!)
I have two beautiful kids...5 year old Dannika Jane and 19 month old Mattis (named after the General).
I LOVE and am obsessed with working out and health....but I also love Pinot Grigio and Tito's Vodka.
I started my blog when I was pregnant with my daughter to chronicle my pregnancy, but once I started getting noticed by the military spouse blogging community...it turned into what it is now.
I write about life as a veteran, life as a military family, life as a mom, life as a wife, life as a Christian, life as a 31 year old college student...you name it...it's on here.

//What branch of military are you affiliated with?
The U.S. Marine Corps...of course! 
I couldn't imagine life in any other branch!

//What is one thing you enjoy about the military lifestyle?
Seeing different parts of the world.
As a former Marine, I've had the unique opportunity to deploy to Japan and explore the Western Pacific, and the hot desert sands of Iraq...all of these experiences has made me appreciate America so much more.
I've had the opportunity to live up and down Southern California from San Diego to Orange County.
We even had a little 2 year stint in Boston!
And here we are today, back in my home town of College Station...AKA...Aggieland!

//What advice would you give other spouses who are new?
I never listen to people's advice.
I appreciate advice, but let's face it....9 times out of 10, it goes in one ear and straight out the other.
I'm a "figure it out as you go" kinda girl, and "learn from your mistakes" kinda girl. 
I think that's what makes military life interesting....
There's always a million curve balls headed your way.
Maybe that's my advice:

"Be prepared for anything and everything!" 


Military Spouse Appreciation Day Link-Up

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you joined us!! :) I love the answers to the questions. Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add this link to our link-up girl!!! I love your answers. Your perspective is always so much fun to read. Thanks for joining us and happy belated Military Spouse Appreciation Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have found you through the link up! Will be reading through your older posts!

    www.jewelswandering.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!