Monday, April 21, 2014

Boston Strong

It's marathon Monday, y'all!
For New Englanders, today is the day of the famous Boston marathon in conjunction with the state holiday, "Patriot's Day".
In light of the tragedy that happened last year at the marathon, this year was a big year for lots of runners.
It just so happens that we live walking distance to mile 8 (ish) of the marathon, so we decided to head down there this morning and cheer on the runners.
The Boston marathon and the Marine Corps marathon or two marathons that are on my lifetime bucket list.
I'm hoping for my knee to get cleared this year by an orthopedic surgeon to start training for one. 
The last ortho I saw in the Marine Corps told me it was a horrible idea to run a marathon in the condition my knee was in after surgery.
I say, "whatever".
Almost every veteran I know has gotten out of the service with some sort of service connected injury.
And I see on a daily basis almost every single one of these veterans pushing themselves mentally and physically in ways that people told them were not possible.
I've seen veterans who have lost limbs in combat complete marathons.
So with that thought in mind, my silly little knee issue can be worked through.

There were a handful of Marines that were running, and we made sure to throw out an "Oorah", "erah", "yut", "kill", and "Semper fi" to each and every one that we saw.
Each and every one of them shouted back at us or grunted at us...in true Marine Corps fashion of course.

I also gave big shout outs to all the TEXANS that were there!
Texas was in full force and REPRESENTIN'!

It was truly incredible to see these runners come out in full force after last year's tragedy.
There were SO MANY "Boston Strong" jerseys, and SO many runners from ALL over the world showing their support for Boston.
It just goes to show you, you don't mess with 'Merica....especially a buncha brash, loud, and pissed off New Englanders!
It was truly amazing, and I am so glad that we had the opportunity to go check it out!

 The day was absolutely beautiful, so of course we took advantage of it.
Nick worked on his car all day.


You know how when you buy a new home, how exciting it is!?
You're so excited to do all these awesome DIY projects you had in mind, and you imagine every project to go just as smoothly as they do on HGTV or the DIY channel?!
Then you realize it NEVER happens like on TV, and you end up with a half finished backyard for an entire year because you gave up and got frustrated? 
Yeah...that's JUST like buying a classic car!

Nick loves fixing things, and working on things, but I could tell by about hour 5 of working on it, he was starting to get a little frustrated.


Our neighbor even came over to help out, and offered Nick some "moral support".
I guess he could see the frustration in his face.
 Oh, and don't ask me what he was doing.
He was changing out some sort of bearings.

At least every once in a while, he could look over at our adorable kids...




I hope everyone had a nice long relaxing weekend!
My daughter's on spring break this week, so I'm sure you'll expect us to get in some sort of trouble...lol.

3 comments:

  1. How awesome to be able to walk down to the race course! I'm sure the city was packed today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great that you walked down to the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!

    Enjoy spring break! Ours was in March.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!