Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ramblings of a Sleep Deprived Mama

This post will probably be a little all over the place
I'm sleep deprived.
Like ridiculously sleep deprived.
My sweet angel, Dannika, was sleeping 6 hour stretches at night at 4 weeks. 
By 6 weeks old, she was sleeping 9-12 hours.
My son?
Not so much.
I swear I am up every hour at night feeding this bottomless pit.
I fall asleep while feeding him, just to be woken up by him wanting to feed again.
I figured out his sleep schedule though.
Thank God he has one.
He's awake from about 5 in the morning till around 11. 
From noon till around 6 in the evening, he's fast asleep (only to wake up to eat). 
From about 630 in the evening until 1am, he is up and ready to party.
This is not OK with a tired, sleepy mama.
The majority of his sleeping is done during the day.

This is his "business casual" look.
He's trying to say, "I'm trying to be professional, but I'm also here to party."


I'm sure all my "pro breastfeeding" bloggers will cringe when I say this, but we resorted to giving him a bottle of formula at night hoping it would help him sleep longer stretches.
I am still nursing him exclusively during the day, and I plan on nursing him AT LEAST until he's 6 months old.
By the way, he doesn't sleep longer with the formula, so that plan failed.
We're still going with it though.

I've had two cups of coffee today...
Actually, I had one coffee, and one pumpkin latte from Dunkin' Donuts.
I'm still tired, and want to take a nap.

This was dinner the other night.
Spinach salad tossed with store bought Italian dressing, black beans, corn, edamame, goat cheese, and a grilled chicken breast seasoned with Italian salad dressing. 
People were so impressed by this meal.
I even had one of my friends on Facebook say, "Are you already cooking food like that, or does Nick have some crazy cooking talent?"
It made me smile.
Little did she know that I just tossed a bunch of random stuff together in a salad bowl, and the only real "cooking" I did was season some chicken breasts with Italian salad dressing and throw it in the pan.

The Marine Corps Ball is November 8th.
I want to fit back into a size 2 or 4 ball gown.
Is that realistic?
I have no idea.
But I've made it a point to run every day.
It's my only bit of sanity during the day.
 The stroller puts both kids to sleep instantly. 
After a 30 minute run (pushing a ridiculous amount of weight up some pretty gnarly hills), I leave the kids in the stroller.
I get a good 15 minutes to just bask in the sun without interruptions before one of them wakes up.

I love pumpkin spiced lattes from Starbucks.
I also love pumpkin white chocolate lattes from Dunkin Donuts.
I can't decide which one I like more, and those are about the only things I like about Fall.
I'm still trying to hold onto Summer for dear life.

My son is currently snuggled on me in my Moby wrap fast asleep, and my daughter is playing "rock star" in her playroom.
I have yet to start dinner, and hubby just called to let me know he's on his way home.

Did I mention, I'm tired?

6 comments:

  1. Oh my dear, I am keeping my mouth shut and not throwing unsolicited advice at you. ;)
    I will just send you virtual hugs, (lots of them,) from across the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww!! I hope things calm down for you. Our ball is on nov 7th. I have almost all my baby weight but these breastfeeding boobs might be a problem! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you don't want to hear it right now, but I swear it gets better. Try and nap when you can and hang in there. I know it's hard, believe me, but honestly, it will pass in time & then you'll look back and laugh at this. Hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your exercise goals! I am 9 months out and still trying to loose the baby weight, but I was not as fit as you are. E loves sleeping in the stroller for jogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo for sleepless nights! Enjoy those stroller naps and a few extra minutes of being quiet outside, and heat up a frozen pizza for dinner! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing. Everything I have heard from everyone are the sleepless nights. This puts the first few years into such a different perspective. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!