Saturday, September 21, 2013

Crunchy Moms

According to urban dictionary, a "crunchy mom" is:

 A member of an increasingly growing group of moms who are neo-hippies.

They generally believe (for varying reasons) that there is something bad or less beneficial about buying mainstream products or doing other common activities in the mainstream way.

Do I consider myself a crunchy mom?
Not at all.

However, I do feel a lot "crunchier" with Mattis than I did with Dannika.
With Dannika, I was so new at parenting that the overwhelming sense of it all took over my emotions.
 
For instance, I hated nursing her.
I was determined to nurse her at least until I went back to work (at 6 weeks post partum).
I counted down the days until I could stop nursing her.
It was too overwhelming for me, and the fact that I had PPD didn't make it any easier.
(BTW, I have no regrets of deciding to quit nursing my daughter and putting her on formula. I'm not one of those judgy moms that look down on women who choose to nurse and/or formula feed.)
 With Mattis, however, I've been somewhat enjoying nursing him.
Even with the horrible episode with mastitis, it hasn't been that bad.
I am even more determined to continue nursing him at least until he starts solid foods.

I was never much of a "baby wearer" with D.
I had a Baby Bjorn and a Moby wrap (that someone else bought me), and I think I tried the Bjorn once.
The Moby wrap, I took one look at it, got intimidated by it, and shoved it back in the box, never to be seen again.
With Mattis, I have become a baby wearin' machine!
I spent an hour tangled up in my Moby wrap, iPhone with youtube in hand, instruction booklet on the couch, before I figured it out.
I can't believe I was intimidated by this mystical Moby wrap.
I think it's become a necessity for me to "wear" my baby since I am now taking care of two kiddos.
It's nice to have free hands, especially since baby M doesn't stay quiet for very long when I put him down.

To be completely honest, that's about as "crunchy" as I get. 
I'm not into the whole attachment parenting thing (no judging anyone that does), but it's just not up my alley.
I believe in sleep training because let's face it, mama needs her sleep in order to be the best effective, loving, and nurturing mama.
I don't believe in co-sleeping because I enjoy my alone time with my husband in the bedroom. 
I am a pro "cry it out"/Ferber method mama!
Did I mention that my D was sleeping 9 hours through the night at 6 weeks old? 
I'm just sayin'...
I have several friends who are into attachment parenting and "child led" parenting, and they all just look really tired and worn out for the first year.
I choose to be happy, vibrant, and not tired.
That's usually when I'm the best mama I can be.

Whatever type of parenting you choose, my thing is, as long as you're doing what is best for you and your kids, who cares?!
Let's stop being all "judgy judgy", ok?

Handsome fella.

D's sweet new shoes.

Went on my first REAL run since giving birth. It felt AMAZING to hit pavement. 3 1/2 miles done!

Another pic of my handsome little guy.

Sibling love.

Dannika playing soccer. She's actually pretty good, y'all!
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat. Maybe a "soggy granola" type of crunchy?
    You better believe I love cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, and organic food. You also better believe that we believe in crying it out, getting our shots (although delayed), and sleeping in your own bed, in your own room, for every slumber. We are schedule-city over here!
    But mostly, I'm a 'whatever works for you' type of mom! Who knows how I'll parent #2?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw love your pictures.

    I am so not a crunchy mom. Not even semi. But I have several friends who are so it's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your confidence in motherhood! And it sounds like we have made very similar parenting choices. And baby wearing with my second became a MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not so much crunchy... Maybe crispy? Or crumbly? I have had such great experiences with my kids breastfeeding that even though it it super time consuming I am glad that it forces me to sit down and take a break. I am not a judger either. I think everyone does what is best for them. And parenting is trial and error in my book. All my kids respond to things differently so I have had to make adjustments to the whole "scheduling" along the way. I hope you are feeling better from the mastitis craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think in general, the second kid is so much easier. I wore Benett (and now Wells) a lot more than I did C because I need my hand free!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!