Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Nursing?

I breastfed my daughter for the first 6 weeks of her life.
During that 6 weeks, I pumped enough breast milk to keep her on it for a few months after I quit.
Once I had used up my stockpile, I switched to formula.

I have strong opinions about the great breastfeeding vs. formula debate.
You can read about how I feel here.

Wonder what I'm planning on doing with baby #2?
I plan on breast feeding him...
But I plan on doing it without pressure from La Leche League, WIC, a lactation consultant, an anti formula feeding mother, the breastfeeding goddess, and/or M.A.F.F. (Mothers Against Formula Feeding....I totally made this up...but it wouldn't surprise me if a group like this totally existed).

The key phrase here is, "I am PLANNING on breast feeding."

I know all the facts, studies, numbers, and research that says "breast is best".

Ok...
Got it.
I BELIEVE YOU!

I just don't need it shoved in my face, down my throat, and digested for me. 

The truth of the matter is, if my experience with breast feeding is absolutely horrible (like it was with my daughter), I am going to be completely unashamed with buying a can of formula and nourishing my child with it.
I'm not going to feel the guilt that I did with my first child when I decided enough was enough, and I switched her to formula.

See...
I even bought the high tech breast pump with every intention of giving our son breast milk and to motivate me to try maybe a little harder than I did with my daughter.
Even though I honest to God tried really hard with her.

I REALLY don't think that any child is going to be superior over another child because one was breast fed and one was not.
I think we tend to forget that, it's in God's hands how our children turn out.

By the way...
I was never breast fed.
I consider myself an extremely healthy, fit, and intelligent adult.

So to everyone who keeps telling me I am failing my child by not breast feeding....
Please feel free to tell my Korean "Tiger Mom" that she failed me. 
I'm sure she won't take that too well.

12 comments:

  1. Breastfeeding is hard, I don't care what anyone says. Even if your baby takes to it easily it is a challenge to keep your supply up, to pump, to do keep it all together. I have nursed all my kids and my first was a very frustrating experience because he slept through the night after 3 months, so I was getting up to pump. My daughter is 2 months now and eats like a cow so all is good for the moment. But you have to do what is best for you at the end of the day, people will have opinions no matter what. I commend you for trying, some people don't even want to do that. I have that same pump and love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the sweet comment and encouragment! I think the pressure from society and everyone else just makes it that much harder! That's the reason why I am planning on trying it this time...pressure free!

      Delete
  2. Each child is different also. It took awhile for me to get comfortable with my first and then with my second, he was a biter from the beginning, (even without teeth,) and it was always painful.
    I never pumped well.
    YOU do what's best for YOU, Baby M, and YOUR family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcella! BTW...I miss reading your blog regularly...just sayin' :-)

      Delete
  3. I have strong feelings as well - about a moms right not to breastfeed if she doesn't want to. I didn't want to and I got so much flak for it. You should do what is best for you and your baby - and what everyone else thinks makes no difference in your life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I got a lot of pressure with my daughter when I stopped breastfeeding. People made me feel really guilty about it, and it was just a bad time! I felt like I didn't get to enjoy feeding my daughter.

      Delete
  4. My sister only breast fed her daughter for 2 weeks before she had to switch to forumula. Her baby is smart, hitting all of the normal benchmarks, and as cute and healthy as can be! You do what you have to do as a momma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't make enough milk for my first, and switched to formula when he was six weeks old. My second started having reflux issues between 3-4 months old. At her 4 month check up, we also found out that she was allergic to cow's milk (Trenton had been allergic too when he was a baby). I tried cutting all cow's milk from my diet. I lasted two weeks before I switched to soy formula. I'm planning on breast feeding this next one too, but I'm not sure how long I'll last if it's allergic to cow's milk too, I'm not sure I'll be able to do it. I love cheese! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! I hope you have better luck this time!

      Delete
  6. Breastfeeding is seriously a LOT of work -- I nursed my daughter for 22 months and my son for 15 before weaning them. And honestly, there were a LOT of times in there that I just wanted to quit, and pass the kid off to my husband with a bottle. I say -- just feed your kid. As long as baby has a full belly, who cares how it gets that way!! You are trying, and thats what counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give you MAJOR kudos for lasting so long! It was overwhelming for me, and I think what made it worse was all the pressure I was getting from everyone! I'm hoping this time, I'm a little more relaxed since I am determined to ignore everyone and their "advice" this time. lol.

      Delete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!