Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Hardworking American....That's a Korean.

I have always wanted to be in a position in my life where I could do something really really nice for my parents.
Like super nice.

My parents immigrated to the United States in the late 70's (early 80's).
They were poor...barely spoke English...and had no college educations.
My dad got a job as a foreman at a steel manufacturing plant called CAMCO, and my mom worked at a fast food Chinese place in a mall.
They didn't have much, but they loved each other.
When I was a kid, I remember going to work with my mom some days when she worked at a little sandwich shop and occupying myself at the tables in the shop with coloring books and toys.
My dad worked the swing shift at CAMCO, and I remember how excited I was when my mom let me stay up until late in the evening so that I could see him when he came home.
Eventually, my parents saved some money and moved our family from Houston to College Station to start a small business.
That small business became very successful, and it provided a more than comfortable life for my sister and me.
To be honest, I was spoiled and took all my parents' hard work for granted. 
I had a super rocky relationship with my parents from my teenage years until my mid 20's, and it wasn't until I married Nick and had children that our relationship was on the mend.

My super handsome dad turns 60 this year, and in Korean culture, 60 is a big deal.
I started getting pressure from my grandfather and other family members last Christmas about what "the oldest child" (me) was going to do for my dad.
They all expected me to throw this lavish and expensive party for him...all on my dime of course.
It really got under my skin that my family had such high expectations of me, and I grew extremely resentful.
I'm the FARTHEST thing from a traditional Korean daughter!
Hey now! I was born and raised in good ole Texas with good ole southern values...
I decided to ignore them, and I decided that my dad's 60th birthday would be special...on MY terms, and no one's terms but my own.

Nick and I got completely out of debt this year, and started saving.
We booked a trip to Cancun for Nick's 32nd birthday next month without even contemplating it.

And most importantly...
We were able to afford a Canadian cruise for my parents for my dad's 60th birthday.
We booked it without telling them, because we knew they would object to us paying for something so expensive for them.
I called my dad to tell him, and the shock and surprise in his voice was the highlight of my day.
I've always wanted to do something nice for my parents, and I figured the year amazing dad turned 60 would be it.

This cruise will never make up for all the headaches and heartaches I caused him...
It won't make up for the shiny red Mustang he bought me in high school that I crashed once and got SEVEN tickets in...
It won't make up for the times I rebelled against him and did crazy things (like join the Marine Corps without telling him)..
It won't make up for the times he cried FOR me...and WITH me...

Thanks for being an amazing father to Nick....

But I hope he can be proud of his one rebellious daughter (who is still slightly rebellious today).
I've dreamed of the day when I could do something extravagant for my dad...
(Half my Louis Vuitton and Gucci purse collection is all courtesy of my dad)

So...Happy early 60th Birthday, daddy!
You're the hardest working...
God loving...
Hardest working...
Prayerful...
Hardest working...
Wonderful...
Hardest working...
Loving...
Hardest working...
And passionate man I know.

You...
deserve this trip...

We love you!

My "birth"day!

Always a daddy's girl!


My dad has always wanted a son, and he got TWO (Nick and my brother in law!)



2 comments:

  1. Awe, I love this. How sweet!!! I hope they have tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!