Friday, August 29, 2014

The Aggies, First Day, & Schoolbus Rides

Let me just start this post off with...
HOW BOUT THAT AGGIE GAME AGAINST THE GAMECOCKS?!?!
That was one hell of an upset!!!!
And if you live in College Station, and were lucky enough to buy furniture from Ashley Furniture between a certain period of time, you get a refund for all your furniture!
You can read more about it here.
image from http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24685495/college-football-rewind-kenny-hill-proves-aggies-fine-without-manziel

All is well in the Romer house now that college football is in the air.

Onto Dannika's first day of Kindergarten.
We dropped her off and picked her up ourselves since it was her first day yesterday.
We had to patiently wait outside for 10 minutes before they rounded up all the Kindergarteners.
She kept asking us when she we would get to go inside.
I've never seen a girl so eager to leave her mama!
As soon as her teacher walked up, she was OFF!
I had to pull her back to steal a quick kiss from her!


At least she waved one last goodbye before heading into her classroom.
The house felt so empty yesterday without her, and even Mattis seemed a little lonely. 
I sat in my living room and looked at my phone a million times to see what time it was and watched the hours tick by.
Nick got home from work early so we could go pick her up together.
I think as soon as he came home, I was ready to leave!
When we got to her school, we were allowed into her classroom since it was the first day.


She may not have the best coloring skills of the bunch, but she's the only one who could write her entire first, middle, and last name! 
I'll take it! lol.
Besides, her school bus looks way more retro than the plain yellow ones...

Showing us the way out of her school.

  She had a great first day!
She came home and PASSED OUT for 2 hours.
This girl has not napped in over 3 years!!!

Today is her first day riding the school bus.
She's been begging me to ride the bus since the summer, and originally, I had plans to just take her to school and pick her up myself.
I decided it's more convenient for me if I just put her on the bus, and she gets to experience the "bus ride".
This morning, we walked to the bus stop...
When I was a kid, the bus always came right to the front of my house, but up here, the bus has designated intersections where it stops, and we have to walk to the one nearest to our house.
It's only a block away, but still very strange to me.
We got to the bus stop, and I met a group of moms and their kids.
They already all seemed to know each other, and it felt a little awkward.
I kinda felt like the "new kid" on the block.
Once the bus came, I had to pull Dannika back to give me a kiss goodbye before she got on the bus.

She was so eager to get on it!
Once she got on, and I watched the bus drive away (while I was in tears), I realized we had never talked to Dannika about where to get off the bus at in the afternoon!
Panic started to set in.
I pictured her sitting on the bus and seeing kids getting off at the first stop, and her just following them.
Then I thought about her being lost and alone on some random street in some random neighborhood and of course we would have no clue where she was.
I then realized I never put anything in her back pack identifying who she is and who she belongs to!
I mean, she knows our names, Nick's cell phone number, and our address, but the only thing I'm thinking is "what if she randomly forgets?!?!"
The buses have no monitors on them.
Just a bus driver who could care less what stop the kids get off at.
I called Nick panicking (of course), and had him call her school to let them know that we had a poor, helpless, and fragile Kindergartener who had no clue which bus stop to get off at...ok, she's not poor, helpless, and fragile....but that's what my mind was thinking when I pictured her alone on some random street cause she got off at the wrong stop.
Apparently, the school told us we need to assign her a "bus buddy", and that the buses are a private company contracted by the school district, so they don't put bus monitors on them (lame).
So, we are going to pick her up today from school, and we will spend the weekend going over what bus stop she needs to get off at, and going over emergency procedures.
I never knew something as simple as a bus ride would give me so much anxiety!!
Freak out mode #1 of the school year for me....check.

Other than that, we're going into Labor Day weekend, and our family has some fun things planned!
Mattis says, "Have a great weekend!"

3 comments:

  1. That game was amazing!!! We were so pumped! Ready for an amazing season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, love the school photos. Natalie always colored her stuff multi-colored too. She says one color is "boring."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness -- you would think the school system would do something more about little ones on buses. I remember as a kid, we had a name tag, with our teacher's name, our bus number and I think our address/stop on it so that even if we forgot any of it, someone around us could help until we got used to the routine!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!