Friday, December 6, 2013

Thanksgiving in Houston (pt. 2)

Besides the Marine Corps ball, Nick and I have not been on an official "date night" since Mattis was born.
I don't consider the ball a "date night" since it's a mandatory military event, and because there's really no "us" time.
So when we go to my parent's house, we always make sure to take advantage of free babysitting, and go out...just the two of us.
My parents live in the heart of downtown Houston.
They live walking distance to the swanky Galleria mall, high end couture restaurants, and fabulous night life.
Nick and I always joke about how if we had no kids and were rich, it would be a dream to live there.
My parents have no kids in the house anymore, but they're not much into "going out", so I feel like it's such a waste! lol.

Nick and I decided to check out a speakeasy in the Galleria mall called "the Prohibition".

This is our "we're happy to be kid free for a night" face.
 
 If you're not familiar with a modern day speakeasy, they're really neat!
They're usually tucked away somewhere non-nonchalantly in an unsuspecting building, and when you do find the entrance, it really takes you back to the 1920's era.
The speakeasy we went to was hidden behind a wall in the Galleria with a quote from Zoolander on the wall that said:
"Coming Soon: Derek Zoolander Center Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too."
It totally threw Nick off, and he almost went around into the mall to try and find the front of the speakeasy!
We had to go behind the wall, and tucked inside was a door.
When we walked in, it was dimly lit, quiet, and was adorably decorated in a vintage 1920's theme.
The bartenders were dressed in 1920's attire as well with suspenders and everything!
Since it was the day before Thanksgiving, it was pretty low key, and not too many people there.
Our favorite part was the bartender.
The cool thing about this speakeasy is that it is locally owned, and their drink menu is insane.
The bartender's are classified into different levels.
 1. Apprentice
2. Barsmith
3. Bar chef 
4. Mixologist

You can tell who is who based on what they're wearing.
The mixologist that was working that night really liked Nick and I, and he kept testing out new concoctions on us (on the house!).
Yes, the bar is made out of nickels.
My favorite drinks were their extra dirty martinis, prohibition mule (vodka, ginger beer, pomegranite juice), and some other concoction made out of egg whites, vodka, and some other stuff (lol...it's the second drink from the left in the pic).

This is a pic of the "prohibition mule".

We had a great time, and it was so cool!

I love our date nights alone because it just reminds me just how lucky I am.
It was so nice to just have adult conversation, grown up drinks, and the company of my partner in crime :-)
I seriously freaking LOVE this man with every ounce of my being, and I am sooooooo thankful that God chose him for me!

 Here's a short clip about the place!
Perfect for a date night. :-)

2 comments:

  1. This is the second modern-day speakeasy I've heard someone talking about. I *need* to see if they have one in our area -- how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! Good for you guys, you two totally deserve some alone time :) And you guys look too cute!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!