Monday, March 17, 2014

Mrs. Pinterest

The title of this blog is the best I could come up with as far as the conclusion I came to this weekend.
I don't know if it's a strong enough title to really fit the entirety of this post, but it'll do.

I realized this past week that as much as I need time alone with my husband (sans kiddos), I also need time alone without husband AND kiddos.
I mean seriously...
I told Nick I wanted to go out for a drink on Saturday night with a girlfriend after a birthday party we attended for Dannika.
My friend Steph and I ended up walking to a little brewery down the street from her house called "Hopsters" to just hang out.
It was SO nice to sit and have adult conversation with a like minded woman over adult beverages.

Steph is a full time law school student with two kids, and her husband is a Marine attending Harvard.
I could write a whole blog post on how the two of them ended up here, but I won't!
We don't hang out nearly as much as we should because she lives closer to Boston, and it's hard for me to get out there.
Also the craziness of her and her husband being in school and raising two kids makes it tough to fit time with each other into our lives!
It was nice to just unload on each other about life, marriage, kids, and the miserable Boston winter...lol.
I told her about what I was going through with "losing my identity" when I became a stay at home mom, and how hard that was.
We both came to the conclusion that both of us are really not meant to be "stay at home moms".
She came to this realization after being a stay at home mom for the first year of her daughter's life, so she decided to go to law school!
I decided I am going back to school in the Fall to give me some purpose that is meaningful to me in life besides just "mom to 2 BEAUTIFUL kids" and "Marine wife".
I know some women are just born to be "Mrs. Pinterest", and I am not.
So until the Fall, I am just going to soak up the time I have with my kiddos, and get ready to start my next chapter in life.
Crazy that in just one evening alone with a friend without the distractions of husbands and kids could make me see all of this!

3 Conclusions I came to this weekend:

1) My husband and I NEED date nights at least twice a month with NO kids and NO interruptions. 
We seriously had the best conversation on Friday night when we went out.
I hired an official family baby sitter this week.
She's a high school student who came by yesterday to do a "trial run".
I left her alone with both kids for two hours while Nick and I went to go watch the new 300 movie.
We came home, both kids were happy, the house wasn't burned to the ground, and Nick and I got to go see a movie alone!
SCORE!

2) I really need to get out and hang out with like minded adults more often without the husband and kids.
As I mentioned above, my time out with Steph made me realize so much more about what I was going through and this "rut" I've been in.
I mean, I can tell my husband anything, but at the end of the day, he's not a woman, so he can't really understand EVERYTHING that I'm feeling.

3) As much as I love my kids and being home with them, I'm not cut out for it.
For the sake of my sanity and happiness, I need a little more in my life.
I need something to give me more purpose in my life.
I'll start with going back to school.
I'm starting ALL over.
I could use my Marine Corps stuff and get a degree in something related to aviation in 1-2 years, but I don't want to do that.
I want to start as a freshman, and start ALL OVER.


And Lastly....
Some pics of my adorable family from the weekend.

We attended a birthday party in Boston for a friend of Dannika's at an indoor playground called "My Gym".



Mattis sat on the sidelines watching all the "big kids" run around, climb on things, and go wild.
He kept grunting at them, and reaching for them.
Poor guy wanted to play with them so bad.
One day little man...one day.

My 4 year old got her second hair cut ever!

Her first blow out...

The final product.

I hope y'all had a great weekend!



7 comments:

  1. aww love it! Her hair cut looks great! I totally feel you on the date night. I think it's soo important especially when you have kids. You need a chance to fall in love all over again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her hair is soo cute!! It's so nice to have adult time with friends, I think that's the ticket to my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, your kids look adorable. Second, I totally feel you on the whole stay-at-home thing. Obviously, I don't have kids (yet) but I'm currently a stay-at-home housewife, and it is driving me nuts. I don't get how women do this! Needless to say, I'm going back to school, finally. Looks like you are just doing better and better as the days go by, keep it up, girl!

    Just A Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby and I go out every week. We definitley need that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for getting out!! I think going back to school is great, I always said I was going to go to grad school after Ace, then pushed it to after Pierce, then Avalon...now I am shooting for next year. We will see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is so important to get out without kids! I love date nights with my husband. And I also love girl time and hanging out with friends :) I'm glad you found a babysitter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will say that being a Stay at Home mother is one of the hardest things I've ever done. While most people see it as all day playtime with the little ones, the is the farthest thing from the truth. While working isn't in my cards right now (at least I don't think), I have been working on ways to make me happier & find a balance in my life. It's definitely not easy and I'm doing it in babysteps. I commend you for taking charge of your life and your happiness. It's a tough thing to do.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!