Monday, March 3, 2014

Back To Routine (And recipes and stuff)

Today was my first day back in "mama mode".
The husband went back to work, and once again, I found myself chugging my coffee this morning while juggling the breakfasts of two kids.
It was a welcome change though after 5 days of being waited on hand and foot by my wonderful husband.
I crave routine in my days, and the past 5 days have been nothing close to a routine.
First thing getting back into a routine...
On Sunday nights, I make my husband breakfast for the week.
It's something I started doing for him because I realized the man never eats breakfast in the morning.
Recipe:
18 egg whites
1 Cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
3 Cups of chopped spinach
1 Cup of chopped baby bella mushrooms
1/2 Cup of cooked uncured bacon (chopped)
salt & pepper

(Preheat oven to 375 degrees)
1. Beat egg whites with almond milk
2. Toss in veggies and bacon
3. Dash of salt and pepper
4. Pour into a greased casserole dish
5. Put in oven for about 30-35 minutes (until eggs are cooked through)

I cut them it into squares, put them in zip lock bags, and throw them in the freezer.
My husband grabs a bag on his way out the door, and heats them up at work after PT for breakfast.
You can add whatever you really want to the recipe.
I like to keep it healthy.
Even the bacon is uncured, and I only put in half a cup for the entire casserole.

Out of the 5 days, I only worked out once, so I was really excited to get back into the swing today.

My 4 year old took this awesome picture of me doing my planks.
I had such an AMAZING work out today.
I forget how much your body needs a recharge (aka TIME OFF) from working out every once in a while.
Today was a nice reminder of that.

My son had his 6 month well check today.
Apparently, he's getting plenty of "nutrition".
Old boy weights a whopping 19lbs 8ozs and is 26.25inches long.
My daughter weighed 18lbs when she was 12 months old!!

Rolls. For. DAYS. 


One of my favorite things about having my husband home is cooking for him.
I live on chicken breasts and spinach salad when he's away (because it's so convenient), so it's nice to cook real home cooked meals again for him.

Nick and I don't eat bread, pasta, or starchy foods (potatoes, rice, etc.) unless we go out to eat (our cheat meals). 
 This recipe is an awesome alternative to mashed potatoes and one of my family's fave dishes...mashed "fauxtatoes"!
It's cauliflowers made like mashed potatoes.
None of the carbs, and delicious.

Recipe:
1 Head of cauliflower
1/4 Cup non fat Greek yogurt
4-5 roasted garlic cloves (I buy the roasted garlic cloves from the olive bar at Whole Foods)
3 Tbspns of goat cheese
Dash of Dried Oregano
Salt & Pepper

1. Clean and cut your cauliflower into florets.
2. Steam them until tender (roughly 10 minutes).
3. Pat dry the cauliflower on paper towels (this is important or they'll be watery!)
4. Toss in food processor with rest of the ingredients and puree.
5. Taste and add more salt/pepper/oregano to taste.


Hope y'all are having a great start of the week!

4 comments:

  1. Yum. See I hate cooking for people. I don't mind going out and buying food though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these healthy recipes!! I need to try those fauxtatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I will have to try that breakfast recipe for a week..that is genius and I think my husband would love me for it!! I need to get some fitness tips and healthier eating from you amazing marine mama..seriously, I'll need it after this baby ;) Come kick my butt!?
    and I love the fauxtatoes too! I'll take some along with those rolls on your cutiepie! HAHA. I hope you have a better week of getting back into a routine..I need it in my days too and get too flustered when it's thrown off. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised as a mama though?
    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making breakfast for the week is a good idea, actually. Sometimes I just grab a granola bar or something on the go, but your recipe sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!