Friday, November 1, 2013

A Romer Halloween

Our family is no stranger to Halloween festivities.
For us, it's a fun time of year to dress up as something/someone else and just have fun with friends!
I've had many of my Christian friends and family frown upon our family's decision to participate in Halloween because they associate it as a pagan/demonic/satan (or whatever else) holiday.
OBVIOUSLY, my family is not celebrating any of the above.
We've had our talk with our daughter explaining to her that some people use Halloween to celebrate evil, but as lover's of the Lord, we know that, "this is the day the Lord has made, and we will rejoice and be glad in it."
We don't look too deep into it, and for us, it's just a fun time.

It's funny how much Halloween has changed for Nick and I since having children.
In my younger years (let's say between the ages of 18-23), I am totally guilty of using Halloween to dress up in a completely inappropriate costume (sorry mom), going to a Halloween party/club/bar and drinking entirely too much, just to come home and regret it the next day.

*Side note: I was saved and baptized last July, so obviously these shenanigans was before I came to know the Lord and before I  became a mature and responsible adult*

Nowadays, my Halloweens are spent searching and scouring the internet for the perfect costume for my kids, carving pumpkins, and doing fun Halloween themed arts and crafts. 
I actually look forward to all that stuff!

The costumes are my favorite part.
I realized my days of choosing Dannika's costume were over.
This was the first year she picked her own costume, and did not want any help from me.
She's been talking about being a "fairy princess" for pretty much the past year.

Nick also wanted to dress up this year since it had been a few years since we had done so.
 Yes...that is the one and only Hulk Hogan.
Nick's been a HUGE HUGE HUGE Hulk Hogan fan since he was a kid.
He decided he wanted to pay homage to him.
But seriously...who gets to spend an evening with the Hulk AND the littlest Spiderman ever?!?

I didn't want to feel left out, so I threw on some ears, a tail, and drew some whiskers on my face. 
Yes, my costume was extremely last minute and thrown together just so I could fit in with the rest of my ridiculously cool family. 


Here are our family's costumes from the past few Halloweens.
*Side note #2: Nick and I do not dress up every year, but our kids do!*

Dannika's first Halloween (2009).
I didn't get her an actual costume.
I just put her in an adorable Halloween tutu with signature matching "giant" flower headband.

Nick and I (2009)
Border patrol and an illegal alien.
I'm pretty sure this is the most politically incorrect costume ever, and I apologize for offending anyone.
We went out with friends to the Beachfire Bar & Grill in Ladera Ranch, CA and hung out.

And look who I ran into and got to hang out with for a little bit!?!
Tamra Barney (Now Tamra Judge) from the Real Housewives of Orange County!!!!
I believe this was not too long before her and her ex husband Simon got divorced.
She was really sweet, and she took tons of pictures with us.

Our Family's 2nd Halloween (2010)
Nick and I went Greek while our little princess went as Piglet from Winnie the Pooh.
This was just two months after Nick got home from his first deployment to Afghanistan.

This was also the first year we actually took her door to door trick or treating for candy.


This same year, I went to a Halloween party at a friend's house, and instead of being Greek, I went "Snooki". 
I think I made a pretty darn good Asian Snooki (complete with overly orange bronzer and poof).
What do you think? lol

Halloween 2011
This is my most favorite costume EVER!!!!!!
Nick and I did not dress up this year, but how could we compete with this adorable little hamburger!?
This was also the first year that I felt like Dannika actually "got it", and actually understood how to go door to door and say "trick or treat". 

Halloween 2012
Jessie the Cowgirl from Toy Story.

We really had such a great time this year, and I can't wait to see all the other blog posts about everyone's Halloweens!

3 comments:

  1. You guys looked awesome!!! And the hamburger costume is the best! Such a cute family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a lovely Asian Snooki. And I'm sure that super sassy fairly princess was a giant hit! Too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!