Saturday, November 9, 2013

Boston Marine Corps Ball

Our ball was last night.
As always, we had a great time.
It was a little bit different than most Marine Corps Balls I have attended due to the fact that it was loosely shared with the Navy.
It was also 90% midshipmen (Marine/Navy hopefuls in the ROTC program that are still in college).
I always find it really cool though that out of a sea of Navy sailors and college "kids", the Marines always find one another and stick together.
It's like we have radar, and we tend to flock together.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our Army, Navy, and Air Force counterparts, but there really is something a little bit different when it comes to the bond between a group of Marines.
I was also disappointed that they played the Marine Corps Commandant's Birthday message while everyone was eating dinner, and no one paid attention to it. 
I always find the Commandant's Birthday message extremely moving and motivating, and it always makes me cry.
 It's a shame that no one took the time out of their dinner to give the respect it deserves. 
If you have 15 minutes, check it out below.

Now for some pics.
All of these are super grainy because they were taken with my iPhone5. 
I really should invest in a little point and shoot camera.

So usually, my best friend has always done my make up for the ball. 
She's amazing...
and lives in California....
She didn't want to come to Boston to do my make up.....
Soooo, I decided to head over to the MAC store to get my make up done, and I am SO SO glad that I did!
Erin from the Natick Mall MAC store hooked me up! 
My clutch is a cute little plum colored Louis Vuitton that my husband got me several years ago for Christmas, and I wanted my accessories and make up to match my clutch.

The ball was held at the Hyatt in Cambridge.
Nick got us a room with the most amazing view of the Charles River overlooking Boston.

This is Lt Lueck and Nick. 
Lt Lueck is the assistant professor of Naval Science for the NROTC program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (better known as just plain old M.I.T.)

Capt Benke and Nick.
Capt Benke is the Commanding Officer for the entire NROTC program for pretty much every college in Boston.
Just call him "El Jefe".

Nick and retired Navy Capt Crowe.
I'm not sure who he is or what he does....oops.
He's a retired vet...rah. 

Typical "selfie" during dinner.



This is Dan and Nick smoking a cigar together.
We invited our neighbors Dan and Linda.
It was their first Marine Corps Ball, and they seriously had a blast.
I'm glad that we got to share some of our culture with our civilian friends, and show them how we party.
Maybe now, they'll understand why our family is the way it is...lol.

This is the "Semper Fi Society" and Republican Senate nominee for MA, Gabriel Gomez.
The Semper Fi society are all the midshipmen in the NROTC program that have hopes of becoming Marine Officers one day.

Gabriel Gomez and the handsome Marines.
Funny story...I ran up to Gabriel Gomez, asked him for a photo, and blurted out, "I have no idea who you are, but I see your political ads on TV all the time!"
Too much wine makes me say things I don't mean to say.  

SSgt Evans and his beautiful wife Stephanie.
SSgt Evans is an active duty Marine attending Harvard doing the Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP).
Just google it if you're curious what it is.
I don't want to explain it. 

Sgt Thompkinson and Nick.
Sgt Thompkinson is a former Marine who is currently working on his degree at Tufts University.

Nick and Major Giorgis.
He's the Marine Officer Instructor, and Nick is his minion.

 Retired MSgt McNeely and Nick.
He is still looking sharp in his blues after being retired for a few years. 
He was Nick's old battery gunny/BN field artillery chief when Nick was a Corporal.
So cool of him and his wife to drive all the way up here from Virginia to attend our ball.
Again...only in the Marine Corps would a retired guy drive for half a day, put on an uncomfortable (but very sexy) uniform that he hasn't worn in years, sit in a stuffy room with a bunch of midshipmen, listen to a long winded retired Marine guest speaker talk for entirely too long, and listen to cheesy "wedding dance music" just to see a Marine (Nick) that worked for him almost 8 years ago. 
That's a brotherhood and camaraderie that you can't find in ANY organization.
Was that a run on sentence?
I don't care.
This is my blog.  

One last photo of my handsome guy and I.

Leaving the Hyatt this morning!
We hired a babysitter to watch Mattis in our hotel room while we were enjoying the ball.
Just in case you were wondering how a baby ended up in my Marine Corps Ball post.


Happy 238th Birthday, Marines!

4 comments:

  1. Our ball is tonight! Looks like you all had some amazing guests and a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your dress!! Our ball is this Friday, so I'm definitely looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for military balls! You guys looked great, and you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!