Friday, November 8, 2013

The "Push" Gift

If you have children, did you receive a "push" gift from the father of your child?

What is a "push" gift, you ask?

Here is the Wikipedia definition...
A push present (also known as a push gift, baby mama gift or baby bauble) is a present a father gives to the mother to mark the occasion of her giving birth to their child. In practice the present may be given before or after the birth, or even in the delivery room. The giving of push presents has supposedly grown in the United States in recent years. A push gift is any type of present loved ones give to a woman who has recently given birth to a child.

Here are my thoughts on this...
I spent nine months of my life carrying a life inside of me.
I spent nine months caring for my body in order to provide the safest and healthy womb for our baby.
I spent nine months gaining all kinds of weight in order to make sure our baby was healthy.
In those nine months, my body did things that I could have never imagined before having children.
My stomach stretched.
My hips widened.
At the end of those nine months, I pushed a 7-8lbs human life out of an area of my body that I would rather not think could expel something so large...

Heck yeah, I deserve a push gift!!!
(Did I mention one of my love languages is receiving gifts?)

Before I start getting "hated" on for being ungrateful, selfish, shallow, and/or whatever other adjective you come up with to judge me, let me give you something to think about.
You don't think it's shallow to receive gifts every year on a day that you were born many, many years ago (also called a birthday)?

Honestly though, I wouldn't have even thought of a push gift if it weren't for my awesome husband.
I'm also not an ungrateful person.
I don't expect anything extravagant or expensive.
I just like the fact that my husband thoughtfully picked something out for me.

When my daughter was born, he got me a ring adorned with tiny rubies (her birthstone) and diamonds....again...I didn't ask for it, he thoughtfully picked it out.

For my son, I had been eyeballing this ring...
And, he got it for me!
If you're a Justin Timberlake fan, it's the same ring in his "Mirrors" video.
I absolutely love it.

I'm also absolutely in love with my husband, and the thought he put into it.
I'm so grateful that he appreciates the work it takes for a woman to bring a child into this world.
I also love that every time I wear my "push" gifts, I think of all I went through to bring my own two children into the world. 
I still smile when I wear my daughter's ring, and it takes me back to that day four years ago, when we welcomed her into this crazy world.

See? There's a lot more meaning to it now than just some "silly gift".
:-)

4 comments:

  1. Haha - no, he didn't give me anything. I would have killed him if he wasted money on me when we needed so much for the baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gave me a mother/baby Willow Tree figurine after I gave birth to Trenton. He was on his way home from Afghanistan on emergency leave when I had Charlotte though (I had to be induced 4 weeks early due to complications), so he didn't get me anything with her. Having him home for a little while was enough for me! We'll see if he gets me anything with #3. If I had to bet, I'd say probably not being that he thinks taking me out on a date suffices as a birthday gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband got me a gift after every baby, but I don't think he did it based on the push gift idea. I think he just did it to say "good job" haha! I got jewelry with the first two, and a nice addition to my purse collection with my third. So I say if your hubby wants to do it…let him :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never got push gifts for the birth of either of my daughters! I wonder if he can make up for it 8/6 years later hahaha. I will be sending him a link of this blog! Hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!