Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Oh, How Life Has Changed

I've written a few times about the transition from being in the Marine Corps for 10 years to becoming a "Marine Wife" and a SAHM.
Every once in a while, I almost forget how much different my life is today than it was just a year ago.
Today was my husband's first day back at work (in Boston) since May.
It was our first "real" Monday since May.
I went back to being woken up by the rustling of hubby getting ready for work at 5AM.
I went back to thoughtfully planning the evening's dinner during the day while he's at work.
I went back to trying to find meaningful things to do with our daughter during the day to pass time until he gets home from work.

I realized I was missing a few things for dinner tonight, so I got myself and D dressed and headed to the store.
I got home, unloaded the groceries, and did a quick meal prep for dinner.
I recently purchased a "high speed, low drag" (I still gotta little Marine in me) food processor, and I've been dying to use it.
I was so excited to be using it!

That's when it hit me...
"Am I seriously THIS excited over using my new food processor?!?"
The answer?
yes...
yes I am.

It got me reflecting on my life in the last year, and just how different it is.
A year ago, I was at a point in my career as a Marine where I was no longer having fun, I hated going to work, and I hated my boss.

(how I felt about being a Marine in that last year)

These were all feelings about the Marine Corps that festered in me within the last 2 years of my career.
I used to LOVE my job, and couldn't picture myself doing anything else with my life.

The thing that changed in the last 2 years of my career that had my mindset this way was the previous 3 years of my career catching up to me and taking its' mental toll on me.
  • Recruiting duty broke me....emotionally and mentally.
  • The guilt of feeling like I wasn't spending enough time with my child because of my obligation to the Corps was eating me alive inside.
  • Dealing with my husband being gone the majority of that time on deployments or training was getting too much for me to handle on my own (on top of being a Marine and raising a toddler...alone).
  • When I finally got my husband home safely for the 2nd time from Afghanistan, he had orders to Massachusetts while my duty station remained in Southern California (keeping us separated, yet again, for another year). 
  • The icing on the cake was the fact that one of the Marines I answered to at work was by far, the worst leader I have ever worked for in my entire 10 year existence as a Marine. I felt like he had made it his mission to make my life as miserable as possible.
Fast forward to today...
I am loving my life as a SAHM.
Granted, there are days when I feel like the tv is babysitting my kid (don't you dare judge me!), just so I can relax with no interruptions.
I love the fact that I set my own schedule.
I absolutely LOVED being able to go back home to Texas for an entire 6 weeks this summer while hubby was gone.
I love the fact that I have all day long to prepare an amazing home cooked meal for my husband for dinner.
I love the fact that I get at least a year at home with my daughter before she'll be in school in the Fall...just in time for baby #2 :)

I really can't complain about life right now.
And as the cliche goes...
I am so amazingly blessed.




5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are loving the decision you made to stay at home with your little one. There comes a point where you have to decide what's best for yourself and your family and it looks like you chose the best option. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Thank you for sharing what's on your heart! It's ok that our goals and dreams and what excites us changes over time. God calls us to different things at different times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, He certainly does call us to do different things at different times! Sometimes, it's just the total opposite of what I think He's got planned!

      Delete
  3. you are definitely blessed...sounds like a wonderful life you have NOW!

    Sisters Marie
    Start your Child's closet on BTGTF!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!