Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Second Baby Fears

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about how different the early life of our second child will be compared to D's.
When D was born, I was an active duty Marine, and I only got 6 weeks of maternity leave before I had to drop her off at daycare for 9-12 hours a day (sometimes longer).
Up until she was 3 1/2, her weekday consisted of being forced to wake up at 430am to get ready for the day so that mommy and daddy could go to work.
She was dropped off at daycare/preschool at 630am, and spent her entire day there until 6 in the evening.
As sad as it was for me to miss out on so much of her infanthood, I wouldn't trade it for the world.
I truly believe that being in daycare at such a young age around other children is the reason why she is such an easy going and social butterfly of a child.

Here's the thing.
I was ABSOLUTELY blessed with D.
She never had colic.
She began sleeping through the entire night at about 8 weeks.
She never had a problem feeding (and we switched from breastfeeding to bottlefeeding at 6 weeks).
She was hardly ever sick.
She was potty trained in one day (yes, ONE day) at the age of 2.
I never needed to baby proof our home, because she never got into anything!
She's never been the "clingy" kid who freaks out when mommy or daddy had to leave her in Sunday school or at a friend's house (so that we could have a date night).

In fact, I NEVER felt bad asking someone to watch our princess for us because I was 150% confident that she would be the EASIEST baby in the world to watch (and she was). 

People were astonished at how well behaved of a baby she was, and how easy going she was.

So I am having serious anxiety that this next baby is going to be the complete opposite of D.
I'm having anxiety about being home ALL. DAY. LONG. with this baby.

Will he turn into a complete mama's boy that has an absolute meltdown when I drop him off at Sunday school?
Will he be clingy and a crybaby?

I told myself after having D that if Nick and I had another baby, there is no way I was going to be working.
I want to experience every moment that I missed as a mother with D.

I'm just having fears now that because I was so used to a certain lifestyle of parenting with D, this one's gonna give me a run for my money.

It doesn't help that I had post partum depression a few months after D was born and was on medication for it....

Needing some prayers please!

This picture makes me laugh. This was after my first day of work since giving birth...exhaustion!

2 comments:

  1. It will definitely be different! I worked (not as long hours as you did!) when Cullen was little then stopped after B was born. It was a very difficult transition to being home with babies all day, but eventually I found a great balance and support group of other stay at home moms. I am sure you will figure it out! And for the record, both of mine were really easy babies- I had the same fear that B wouldnt be since C was so good, but he was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!