Thursday, April 4, 2013

Afghanistan Emails

I decided to do some inbox cleaning today, and I came across a bunch of emails between Nick and I from the last few times he was in Afghanistan.
There's nothing significant about any of these emails.
Most of them go as such:

 "Hey baby.  I made it to lthrnk.  Getting settled in.  got some meetings and some training.  I will call you asap.  Gotta run.  Tell Dannika I miss her and love her.  I love you guys."

or (you gotta read from the bottom up)

I am trying.

-----Original Message-----
From: me
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 09:31
To: hubby
Subject: Re: hey

Call me

------Original Message------
From: Hubby 
To: me
Subject: RE: hey
Sent: Jan 23, 2012 21:00

How did the doctors appointment go baby?

-----Original Message-----
From: me
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 09:06
To: hubby
Subject: hey

call me when you get a chance. I am goin to bed now (its 830pm). Call me
tomorrow, k? I love you...want to talk to you.



 I can't find it in myself to delete them. 
I obviously saved and printed the long love letters he used to email me, but these short little notes that he used to email me is what I used to look forward to every day.
It gave me a sense of relief to know that he was OK and safe.

They hold memories of long lonely nights, the nights of crying myself to sleep, the stress of being a working, single mom, the days feeling sorry for my daughter...
They also hold memories of the fun mommy/daughter dates I got to have, the girls nights, the bonds and friendships I made with other women going through the same, and of course the countdowns to the homecomings. 

So I guess they will remain in my inbox until the end of time.
I don't even want to make a separate folder for them.
I want them to stay right where they are...
in my inbox...
just like how I received them the first time.

These are my favorite memories. The ones of being reunited.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!