Thursday, February 19, 2015

Cauli-fried rice

I've been on the "cauliflower train" for a while now.
I feel like I've liked cauliflower before it became "trendy".
Thanks to Pinterest, I've seen an explosion of recipes replacing carbs with cauliflower.
I think people get the misconception though that just because there are "no carbs" in a recipe, it makes it healthy.
For instance...
The "cauli-crust" pizza (so popular lately) in theory sounds pretty healthy, but then I see the amount of cheese you have to put into it to make it bind.
Not so healthy.
Sometimes, it's just better to stick with the original, in my humble non-expert opinion.
I don't believe in dieting.
I spent a better part of my twenties dieting, and frankly, dieting is not fun.
It sucks.
In those years of yo yo diets and fad diets, I did learn quite a bit about my body, and what makes me gain weight like a balloon.
So today, as a thirty year old mother of two, I make MOSTLY healthy choices when I eat.
One thing I know about my body (notice I said MY body...not yours), breads and pastas (whole wheat or white) makes me gain unnecessary weight.
That doesn't mean I don't eat them!
But I choose to eat them earlier in my day (breakfast & lunch), and try and avoid it for dinner.
And going out to eat is always an exception.....
Who can resist the free bread/tortilla chips they give you at restaurants!?

ANYWAY,
One of my favorite foods is fried rice.
It's delicious, but the main ingredient in that dish is...RICE! (DUN DUN DUN).
Instead of rice, I use cauliflower.
Nick took it to class, and the guys could not believe it wasn't rice!
It's absolutely delicious too!
I could eat it every day!

So I'm going to share my recipe with you!

Ingredients:
1 head of caulflower (chopped into florets)
2-3 Cups of frozen mixed vegetables  
1/2 of an onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
2tsps of ginger (minced)
2-3 tbsp sesame seed oil
soy sauce
1tbsp of full fat REAL butter (yes...butter in moderation isn't horrible for you!)

salt
pepper

Directions:
1. In a food processor, pulse 1/2 the cauliflower at a time. You don't want to pulse it for TOO long because your cauliflower gets mushy, and it's important to do it in two batches (otherwise you'll end up over processing it, and it'll look like mush instead of a "rice like" consistency).

2. Heat your sesame seed oil and butter in a wok (or a pan if you don't have a wok). Once the butter melts add your garlic, onion, and ginger and let it get fragrant (just about a minute or two). 

3. Add the cauliflower and frozen veggies to the pan and let the cauliflower cook for a few minutes. Add your soy sauce, salt and pepper based on your preference. Remember soy sauce is pretty salty on its own, so you don't need a ton of salt!

4. If you don't like the taste of cauliflower, then let it cook longer, and let the flavors absorb into it. I personally like the taste of it, so I tend to pull it off the heat when it's still has a little bit of a "crunch" to it. 

Super easy, and super delicious!
My kids love it, and my husband loves it, so it's a winning dish at my house! 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!