Tuesday, August 4, 2015

American

Just random thought...
I posted a link on Facebook last night about the first Korean General (Brigadier General Daniel Yoo) in the Marine Corps to take over as the head of 1st Marine Division. 
I wrote about how Koreans are kicking butt in the Marine Corps.

And a friend of mine (well more of a friend of Nick's) decided to add a comment about how he's an "American" last time he checked.
It was a little jab at the fact that I made a big deal about him being a Korean.

What people don't understand is that it's not about race or ethnicity or ANYTHING ELSE when someone from a minority group "makes it" in America. 

As a first generation American of Korean heritage, I take a lot of pride in that.
My parents immigrated here many many years ago, poor as dirt, and made something of themselves. 
They made their American dream a reality.
So when I see other Koreans kicking butt in America, it makes me happy and proud.

If that individual is reading my blog, I hope you get that I'm about as American as they come.
I was born to immigrants who came here speaking zero English, and became successful business people.
I went through the public education system here.
Oh, and I also did this little stunt where I enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps right after high school, deployed to the middle east and western pacific, and was honorably discharged after 10 years.
I know many "Americans" who have NOT done that, seeing as how only 1% of our population has ever served in the military.
 
But at the end of the day, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my South Korean born parents, and I wouldn't be who I am without my South Korean heritage. 
I'm sure General Yoo is pretty proud of his Korean heritage too.


ANYWAYS...
I have this fancy shmancy DSLR camera that Nick got me for Christmas two years ago.
Ever since the iPhone6 PLUS (yes, I had to add "plus") came into my life, my poor camera has sat in my little camera bag and my iphone has taken over as my primary source of picture taking.
I decided to bust it out last night, and take some photos of the kids playing outside.

Working on our neighbor's truck with daddy.





Love this little guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!