Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Parent/Teacher Conference

First, I'm just gonna start off by saying...
This has become the PCS from hell...so far...
I'll share more about our headaches at a later time.

Right now, I really need to blog about something happy, so I figured I'd write about our first Kindergarten parent/teacher conference with Dannika's teacher.
Since we are moving next week, we figured it was a good time to sit down with her teacher, and just see how she is at school with the upcoming move and all the transitions she is about to make.

I couldn't be more proud to be Dannika's parent after today's conference.

When Dannika started Kindergarten, I had so many fears in regards to her age.
She's a "July baby", and for parents out there who have July/August babies know just how different a 5 years and 3 months old child is compared to a 5 years and 8 months old child (developmentally speaking).
I thought about holding her back a year, but her preschool teacher reassured us over and over again that Dannika, was indeed, MORE than ready for Kindergarten.
Dannika started Kindergarten as a young Kindergartener, and my fears were amplified when I saw how HUGE the kids in her class were compared to her.
Some of them were already 6 years old or turning 6 very soon!

After speaking to her teacher this afternoon, however, I am SO glad we didn't hold her back.
Her teacher told us that she is "leaps and bounds" ahead in development than most of her peers.
She's already sounding out words and writing sentences in her journal. 
To be honest, I had no idea that she was writing sentences until today when her teacher showed us her journal. 
Nick and I were both in shock

She is also considered the "quiet" one in her class which also came as a huge shock to us.
Lord knows we can't get that child the be quiet for a minute at home!
She doesn't like to "tattle tell" which is also her worst enemy in terms of her personality.
She tends to let things fester, and the teacher notices by her facial expression that she's upset.
Her teacher will ask her what's wrong, and THEN she will tell her, "so and so took my book" or "so and so pushed me off the slide".
I don't know where she gets the passive aggressiveness from, but it's definitely not from me!

Her teacher asked her today if it was OK if she stood in front of the class and answer some questions about Texas.
Apparently, our typically "shy" little girl, owned it.
She told her classmates that she was "never ever coming back here", "Texas is hot and doesn't snow", and "Texas has lots of beaches".

I'm super proud (and feeling braggy) about how great our conference went.
Her teacher had no qualms or worries about her transitioning to a new school.
She said she makes friends fast and easily, and said that she is a "perfect child to have for the lifestyle that you guys live."

My heart is full :)

She went on her first Kindergarten field trip this week to the apple orchard, and came home with a bag of McIntosh apples and a pumpkin that she picked herself!

Leaps and bounds ahead of her peers....lol.

On the way to the bus stop this morning.



7 comments:

  1. It will be great to get you guys to Texas! I am sure Dannika will be great at her new school. Not knowing where you will be in Castlegate, will she be able to walk to school?
    Hang in there with the moving problems - we are pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, sweet girl! That must be so good to hear that you made the right decision regarding kindergarten! She's going to do great in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the PCS gets better. Those things are no fun. But GREAT news about your daughter! It's always so fun to watch babies and toddlers turn into little mini people with thoughts, skills, and ideas of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute pictures!! I am sure she is happy to get to Texas as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooo glad to hear she is doing so good! (Not glad to hear that your PCS has turned into hell.. :/)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad she's doing so well!!

    I'm sorry the PCS is rough though.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!