Friday, September 12, 2014

Thoughts From the Bus Stop

Nick and I live in a neighborhood full of million dollar homes, and we're just the little military family renting someone else's half million dollar home.
We're like little fish in a sea of sharks...at least that's what it feels like sometimes when I look out my backyard and see the giant house that was just built and sold for almost 2 million dollars.
Nick and I always joke that we live in the "poor" part of the neighborhood, when in reality, no one in this entire neighborhood is "poor".
Dannika's bus stop is one street over on a street lined with giant multimillion dollar homes.

I'm not gonna lie, I was a little intimidated walking her to her bus stop on the first day.
I pictured a bunch of rich, snobby moms turning their noses up at me in disgust...especially after they would find out we're just a "lowly" military family (maybe I was exaggerating the situation a little in my head).

And the reality....

There's maybe one mom and one dad who kind of make me feel uncomfortable...like they don't "socialize" with me.
I can't help but feel like they think I'm not on "their level"...at least that's how they make me feel.
I think I'm a pretty good judge of character and can read people's facial expressions pretty well, so that's the vibe I'm getting.
As for the rest of the "bus stop parents" (as I call them), they're the nicest group of people I've ever met.
This one lady in particular started crying when she found out Nick and I were both Marines, and profusely thanked us for our service....not gonna lie...when people thank us for our service...its suuuuper awkward.
We chose to be Marines because it's what we wanted to do, and we both enjoyed it (or still enjoying it in Nick's case)...but ANYWAY....that's a whole another post.

Back to the bus stop.
This morning, this lady (the same one that cried), told me how she wished she could be 30 again.
She said, "You're all so beautiful, and you have your perfect little family with your son in his stroller every morning, and your handsome husband! Forty's gonna sneak up on ya!"
I've been thinking about that comment all day.
She's an extremely kind and beautiful lady with 3 beautiful children. 
I envy her life (not in a bad way), but she's in her 40's and lives in a gorgeous home with her husband and 3 beautiful children (between the ages of 8-13).
Her children are the sweetest kids ever, too!
When I'm 40, I don't want to wish I was 30 again.
I plan on being one of those women who will proudly tell you I'm 40, while swiftly running ahead of the 20 year olds.
I plan on being 40, and in better shape than I've ever been.
Frankly, at 30, I'm in better shape than I was between the ages of 15-25.
At 40, I'm still going to be jammin' to Iggy Azalea way too loud in my car (or whoever the next big thing is then). 
Most importantly, at 40, I hope to be living a life God intended for me with my cute little family.
I feel like at 29, something just "registered" in my brain, and I suddenly had a whole different outlook on life, and it made turning 30 FABULOUS!
I have friends that are under the age of 25, and there are times when I look at the things they are doing or saying and just smile...even though sometimes they frustrate me.
I smile because I know that one day, they'll have that same "aha" moment that I did, and it's actually kind of neat to watch them navigate through life the way I did at their age.

So to the kind lady at the bus stop...
Thank you for complimenting my family, and boosting my ego by telling me I was beautiful this morning (with my no make up face, hat, and workout gear on).
But honestly, I envy you, and I hope that 10 years from now, I'll have grown children as beautiful and kind as yours and a life in a beautiful home just like yours.
Fingers crossed that Nick decides to retire within the next 10 years, of course...

On the way to the bus stop this morning...

I LOVE this outfit! Everything from H&M, shoes Sperry Topsider, & flower headband from "Tarjais"


And because I can't let you go without a few photos of my son...
When he wakes up from his nap, I like to talk to him through the baby monitor and confuse him.
It's pretty hilarious to watch him try and figure out where my voice is coming from! haha!

Sequence of events...
"Can you open this bag of coffee beans for me, mom?"
 "No, son. put it back."
 "You're the worst mom ever!"

Oh, you know...just unloading the dishwasher for me...

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading these when you post. Your family is the BEST and we are really going to miss you when you move. Thank God for facebook so we can stay connected. <3
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I love that little man! He's too cute! But I'm right there with you -- I'm seriously looking forward to my 30s, and plan on enjoying them so much, that when my 40s roll around, I don't want to turn back because there's nothing else I could do with the years. I got it all in, you know?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thinking for your life at 40.. seriously.. you rock lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! My 20s were great, but my 30s are wonderful. I hope to make each decade better than the last!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way. I think a lot of people thought we were crazy for getting married and having kids in our 20s, but those same people don't realize that we will have teenagers instead of toddlers in our 40s! I embrace every age and am grateful to have a great partner to make it all the more worth it long with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you met some nice people. But yeah, if someone said she wished she could be 30 again, it might catch me off guard, especially if I hadn't had my caffeine yet.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!