Monday, September 22, 2014

New England Apple Picking

A popular New England fall time tradition is apple picking.
Yes, there are apple orchards in California, and yes, there are apple orchards in Texas...
There are probably apple orchards all over the country, but it's more of a "New England" thing.
In fact, I've never been apple picking in my life until I moved here. 
The first time I ever went was last Fall, and it was at that moment that I became an "apple snob".
After tasting a delicious, crisp, sweet, and crunchy apple straight off the tree, you'll never look at or eat a regular "grocery store" apple ever again.
In fact, for several months after apple picking season was over, I refused to buy apples from the store, because "they just didn't taste the same".
It's seriously just amazing.
This weekend (since it's our second to last weekend here), we figured we would go one last time to Belkin Family Lookout Farm in Natick to go apple picking.
Lookout farm is slightly overpriced, and we paid 65 dollars total for 3 people (Mattis was free thank God), and a medium sized bag to hold our apples that cost like 20 bucks.
Honestly, there are a TON of better orchards that charge a LOT less to pick apples than Lookout Farm, but we went there out of convenience.


We picked golden delicous, shizuka, honey crisp, and asian pears.

I've never had a shizuka until yesterday, and they were DELICIOUS (well they're ALL delicious straight off the tree).

Mattis ate an entire apple by himself....



nom nom nom


You can't leave the apple orchard without purchasing some good old New England Apple Cider Donuts!!!
They're serious SOOOOOO good!
We bought just 3 (one for each of us minus the baby of course), and had them with coffee (juice for Dannika) for breakfast this morning.

I probably won't buy another apple for a few months until I forget how delicious a freshly picked apple tastes from the tree.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like I need to try an apple right from the tree, then!

    Sunflowers & Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a cider donut before, but it sounds like something I'd love! Apple picking looks like so much fun. I've been berry picking, but never apple picking. Maybe our next base will have some farms nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to go apple picking, we didn't have any places like that in Vegas growing up. And now in Alaska there is only berry picking. One day I will get to fulfill that dream ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! SO fun.. but yes, so pricey. I don't think we have apple orchards down here in Georgia. Peach orchards, sure.. but don't think we have apple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief those are some EXPENSIVE apples! I've never even heard of shizuka, but I love me some honeycrisp. Glad y'all had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the hardest things about fall here in NC is that at least where we live, there aren't really any orchards nearby. So picking -- you have to drive forever to get to. I love getting a fresh apple from the tree -- and the donuts?! Yum. But fresh pressed cider is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, they charge you per person to pick apples? What kind of place is this?!
    And I am so glad you included the apple cider donuts, aren't they the BEST? I believe they are a MASS thing because I've never had them anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!