Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Just Keep Swimming

As I mentioned in my last post, D is huge scaredy cat.
I was a big scaredy cat as a child, and it seems that she has adopted my fear of everything!
She's afraid of loud noises, she's afraid of heights, she's afraid to fall down, she's afraid of the big slide at the playground, she's afraid of large puppets....the list goes on.
The one thing that I do not want her to be afraid of is swimming pools, and guess what?
She's afraid of swimming pools.
She loves the kiddie pools and splash pads because there's a level of "safe" that she feels.
She normally refuses to go into a normal pool (even with a million floaties dangling off of her body).

The first thing I did when we got here to Houston was enroll her in swimming lessons.
I at least wanted her to feel comfortable in water, and not be so afraid of it.

Monday was her first official swim lesson.
She was so worried that she would have to go into the "big pool", and I had to reassure her that her teacher would be right there with her.
D is extremely social, so the fact that there were lots of new friends in swim class helped calm her nerves.
I was so nervous at first when I let her go off with her teacher.
I didn't want her to be "that kid"....
You know...
The kid crying and screaming while refusing to stick their toes into the water.
Thank God she's not!!

She ended up doing awesome on her first day, and she even had a blast!
She couldn't stop talking about all the cool things she learned that day!
She even promised to teach daddy how to swim since she found out daddy never took official swimming lessons as a kid.

6 comments:

  1. cute! monkey see, monkey do...sometimes all it takes is for them to see other kids doing it! glad she enjoyed!

    Sisters Marie
    Buy * Sell * Swap on BISTM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been her motivation! When she sees other kids doing something, she joins right along!

      Delete
  2. I was the same way when I was little! But instead of getting me lessons, my dad threw me in the pool and said, "Swim!" ( I'm glad you decided to do it the nice way haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the same way when I was a kid and to this day, I can't swim and I hate going in the water. Thankfully both of my boys didn't catch on and they both swim like fish.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!