Sunday, October 4, 2015

Aggie Bound

HOWDY!
If you don't follow me on social media, the cat's been out of the bag for about a week now...


I'm transferring to Texas A&M starting in the Spring!
I mean, I've always been an Aggie, but I get to make it official and have an Aggie diploma on the wall along with that sweet shiny bling on my right ring finger!
Nick and I are starting a legacy.
Nick is the first in his family to attend college!
I'm literally like the last college eligible "Kim family member" (in this generation) to go to college...ironically, I'm also the oldest.
Anyway, I'm over the moon excited.
If you get the fortunate experience of growing up in Aggieland, you either grow up drinking the "maroon kool-aid", or you end up pouring it down the drain.
By the time I was a senior in high school, I was one of those who poured that kool-aid down the drain.
I said "screw this", and I became a United States Marine.
My younger sister also had enough of this "Aggie cult", and she ended up going to University of Texas to be a Longhorn (go ahead and hiss).

It wasn't until I joined the Corps, moved out to California to start my adventure that I became fiercely homesick.
The one thing that gave me comfort was watching the Aggies play football on TV in the Fall.
It made me miss home, and it made me miss being around "Aggie culture".
I was fortunate enough to have some amazing leaders as a young Marine who pushed me to do off duty education when I wasn't deployed.
As a young LCpl, I would work from 6am until 6pm, eat chow, get out of uniform, and go to a local community college to take classes.
But of course with deployments and training, I stopped taking classes.
At the end of my tour on recruiting duty, I had a conversation with my Capt about my hopes for finishing college.
I told him my dream was to finish my degree at Texas A&M, and that I was willing to wait until Nick retired to do so.
That's how bad I wanted an Aggie ring.

Funny how God works sometimes, because instead of waiting until I was 40 to come back to CS to go to my dream school, HE gave us such a unique and once in a lifetime opportunity to come back to my hometown so that my husband could come to school here!
I knew this was also MY chance to pursue my dream.
So here I am today...
I'm a 4.0 student on the Dean's list at Central Texas College, and I get to go to that big maroon campus outside my front door in the spring!

We attended the Aggie vs. Mississippi St game last night where the Aggies BTHO Mississippi St, 30-17!!!
That makes us 5-0 this season!!!!
It makes it really exciting that they are doing so well since this is the grand opening season of the brand new Kyle Field!

I was getting a little tired of wearing maroon every weekend, so I switched it up yesterday, and went with white and maroon accents.

Tailgate fashion sure has evolved over the years.
Gone are the days of just throwing on a cotton "Maroon Out" tshirt, and heading to the game.
For the fashion enthusiasts, gameday/tailgate fashion has become a fun way to dress in your school colors while looking chic.

The cutest little tailgater in Aggieland!
This kid would scream, "I see Aggies!!! Aggies!!!" whenever he saw a sea of Aggies wearing maroon. 
He also refuses to go to bed in anything but a maroon shirt....
I think we've already brainwashed this future Aggie...

Obligatory family photo in front of Kyle Field.

They say "the bigger the bow, the bigger the fan"....right?!
I'm a southern mama who loves little southern girls in big bows....what can I say?

Can't quite make the "Gig 'em" thumb...but we'll take "#1" for now!

The little girls.

One of my favorite traditions is watching the Corps of Cadets march into Kyle Field on game day.
They have to coolest cadence (and this is coming from a Marine, y'all!).



Nick has officially drank the "maroon kool-aid"...
Look at the grin on his face.

The largest stadium in the SEC, baby!!






We found a couple midshipmen, and some other ROTC Corps of Cadets guys for a quick photo op with D!

Aggie nachos...
They were as delicious as it looks...
Oh, and I DID go to the gym in the morning just so I could indulge in these cheesy goodness....

We had such a blast at the game!!!
This next weekend is a bye week for the Aggies, so we get a break before the next big game against the Tide (Alabama).
We are planning a huge tailgate for that game, and we're all really excited!

Thanks for all the well wishes and congrats!
Thanks, and Gig 'Em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!