Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Simple Thank You

I HATED recruiting duty...
HATED.
I hated it even more when Nick deployed to Afghanistan and left me to do it all alone with a newborn.
That's when I REALLY hated it.
My last year on recruiting was miserable. 
Recruiting duty is the SECOND reason in my life why I want to get out of the Corps...
The FIRST being my babygirl.

I got the sweetest email from one of my "kid's" mom today.
I recruited him when he was just 17 years old.
His mom and dad had to sign him over to ME.
And they trusted ME to take care of him.
They were tough one me.
I even remember the interview with them.
It was on a Sunday afternoon.
I brought Nick and Dannika with me.
They had so many questions and concerns.
Mom wasn't too happy that her ONLY son...her ONLY child had made the decision to serve his country.
But they trusted me, and trusted their son....

Here is the email I got today...

Hi Mrs. Romer how are you? Just to let you know that {our son} leaves to Afghanistan early tomorrow we could not go to North Carolina to see him I guess he didn't want to get emotional or to tell you the true we don't know, he'll be in Letherneck Camp.Can you tell me if you or your husband been in that place? I know he'll be fine but I'm nervous. I admire all of you as a Marine and as a wife Marine and I just wonder how do you deal with all this emotions and stuff when your husband is deploy. It's been hard on us because {he} is our only son but I'm glad he joined the Marines, his instructors in Camp Pendleton and 29 Palms told us that he's a good Marine and We see the change on him. I know i didn't want him to join and I owe you an apology for what I said and I think you remember why. I was scared and I didn't know much about the how good is to be in the Armed Forces, especially if you are a Marine. Thank you for recruiting my son . 


I have no desire to go back to recruiting or stay in...

but emails like this make me smile, and to know that i made a difference in one person's life is worth the horrific times I spent on recruiting....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!