Saturday, April 1, 2017

Because I'm a Texan, That's Why

Did you know the official state flower of Texas is the bluebonnet?! Well, now you know!

The bluebonnet is a seasonal wildflower that blooms in Texas for just a few weeks each Spring. Every Spring, you'll see people pulled over on the side of the highway (very dangerous) taking photos of their kids nestled in the beautiful bluebonnet patches that grow wild everywhere! I also should mention, people have literally been killed on the side of highways taking bluebonnet photos....seriously y'all...don't take bluebonnet photos next to 70MPG traffic....it's not a good idea! ANYWAY...bluebonnet photos are basically a Texas tradition. If you're a native Texan, and do not have photos of you as a child in a bluebonnet field, then you're Texan card is revoked!

In our little family, I am the ONLY true born and bred Texan. Nick is a southern boy from Alabama, but he is a Texan convert (thanks to yours truly). Dannika is my SoCal princess (born in Orange County, CA) and Mattis is my New England "masshole" (born in Newton, MA). But as a Texan, I demanded my kids take bluebonnet photos, and I am not ashamed to admit that I used Starbursts as bribery to get them to participate in this age old Texas tradition. I dusted off my ol' DSLR, and headed out to the George Bush Library to get some bluebonnet photos last week! Here is what I came up with...

Because no photo sesh is complete without an "Gig 'em" photo...








For an amateur photographer (me), I'd say they turned out ok!

3 comments:

  1. I love the bluebonnets, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I'm so glad I found your blog. I am sending a care package to my son for the first time in Iraq and I have a question. Because I know you have sent out many care packages yourself. When I fill out the Customs form, should I be baked for instance if I'm sending beef sticks, tuna, and Candy should I just simply list them all as snacks? Or should I list them individually. What do you suggest. I'm getting several conflicting stories from different people I speak with at the post office. I just don't want to go into too much detail because I heard sometimes when you list too many detailed items they get stolen. Thank you so much for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should have read "vauge" should I be vauge instead of" baked "hahaha

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!