Monday, August 8, 2016

Bakes Cookies and "Stuff"


Someone posted this on Facebook the other day, and I literally laughed out loud.
If you have followed my blog for a while now, y'all have all followed my journey from transitioning from being a working mom, to a stay-at-home mom, to a mom in college....
Y'all have also gotten to follow my journey from being an active duty Marine for 10 years to being a veteran/civilian.

Those were NOT easy transitions!

If you've got some time on your hands, and you're bored, you can read about my transitions here, here, here, and here.
(There's many many more posts on my transitional periods of life, but those are just a few)
When I look back and read those posts, I was all over the place emotionally.
Some days I was on top of the world, and SO glad to be at home.
Other days, I was depressed about not having a purpose outside of the home anymore. 
Transitioning out of the military is tough, and there are whole studies dedicated to military to civilian transitioning.
They make us go to classes before we get out of the military to help us have a "smooth" transition into civilian life (which is rarely the case, by the way). 
It's why there are websites called "dysfunctional veterans" and "Uncle Sam's Misguided Children" (websites I do not support, but that's a whole another topic).
But the titles of those websites are a direct reflection of how veterans feel when they get "thrown to the wolves".

I always pictured myself as a stay at home mom that "bakes cookies and shit"....haha.
I'm not gonna lie, it was a lot of fun for a while. 
But something I learned about myself during that time in my life is that I need something more for myself outside of the home.
Some people find complete and total fulfillment in that life, but I didn't.
I guess it should have been expected considering I spent ten years of my life (the majority of those ten years) as a single, independent woman making my own money and making things happen. 

I commented on my friend's post (of that photo above):
"I couldn't wait to get out of the Marine Corps so I could be a sahm and bake cookies and shit...here I am in school full time...if that means anything to you. Lmao."

 I love my kiddos with every ounce of my human being, and I know that my calling in life is to be working, in school...just doing SOMETHING outside of the home.
That's the best version of me, and my kids deserve the best version of me for them to look up to.








5 comments:

  1. Haha that meme is hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny. Sometimes what you think you want isn't what's really best!! But store bought cookies can be just as good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't relate to the aspect of being in the military, but I'm at a transition point in my life too. I spent the last 2 years working full-time in Human Resources and LOVING IT, but when I moved to marry my husband this summer, I had to give up a job that I LOVED. Now I'm searching for another job in my field, which is very difficult for a number of reasons. I always thought I wanted to be a stay-at-home wife, and I do love it some days, but I miss having a purpose outside of the home. Days like today when my husband is in the field from when I wake up until when I go to bed are so rough and lonely! Plus, we're feeling financial pressure of me not having a job and us living solely off his salary. It's manageable, but tight (especially since we're waiting for BAH and BAS to kick in.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL That meme is a good one. At least you know what works best for you and your family. That is all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to needing something outside the home for me. I am a much better mom when I am working my brain and being challenged. I am currently reading a great book called the Year Of Yes by Shonda Rhimes which addresses these feelings as a mother and woman. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!