Sunday, October 29, 2017

"Your grace so free, washes over me."

I heard a song by Northpoint music on the local Christian radio station (Peace 107) this morning on my way home from church, and the lyrics (that I made the title of this blog post) just stood out to me. The song is called "Death was Arrested" (in case any of y'all want to hear it).

I'm a BIG fan of secular music...even the slightly inappropriate stuff. If y'all know me, I am a HUGE Tupac fan. I also am a lover of old school country music, and even the new stuff. I love Florida Georgia Line...even though true country music lovers claim they are an abomination in the country music scene...but I like it. Mattis' current jam is Liam Payne's "Strip That Down". He literally calls it "my jam", and we listen (to the edited version) every morning on our way to school. But I also love worship music. I listen to it in my car when I'm alone sometimes, and it brings me a lot of peace and calmness...especially before a busy day.

Anyway, the lyrics, "Your grace so free, washes over me" really resonated with me today. For those know who me well, know my personal testimony. Lots of really emotional and messed up stuff that has happened in my life from the ages of 16 to 26ish. What really got me back "on track" as far as my relationship with Christ was accepting the fact that His grace was free. There was nothing I needed to do to earn back his forgiveness. Any time I hear something about His amazing grace, I am always reminded of my broken past. It always overwhelms me to think that I serve a God who loved me in the midst of the darkest hours in life...when I was destroying my life and my relationship with Him. He continued to love me.

Anyway, speaking of grace...this mama needed LOTS of grace this past week! 
I mean, y'all...
RED RIBBON WEEK.....
I know you moms out there get it.
A "themed" dress up day every day.
And if you have a child like mine, your child suffers from FOMO...bad...
So I have to make sure that she has something to wear for every day of the week.

Oh, and Red Ribbon week is not even over!!!!!!!!!!!! This year is like an extended red ribbon week. It goes until Halloween!!

Good Lord...give me some grace...because I have definitely fought with my 8 year old this week about each theme day....

Let's go through this....

 So Monday was the start of Red Ribbon week...
Guess when I found out it was Red Ribbon week?!
I found out MONDAY morning, when my panicked daughter ran into the kitchen waving a red paper with all the info for each dress up day on it...
I simply told her, "it's not my fault you failed to give me this vital, red piece of paper earlier so I could help you prepare. Guess you're not participating!" (then she cried)
It was crazy sock day.
My child has no crazy socks...
And after some tears, she literally emerged from the garage with these Elsa and Anna socks that were shoved inside her roller blades.
I don't ever recall buying her these socks.
I don't think they belong to her.
They were probably left at our house by one of her friends on a playdate.
I don't think know if they were clean...
They probably stunk...
But she was happy she had them...
FOMO was cured...

Day 2.
Favorite team shirt day!
Easy!
Aggies...duh, and since half her wardrobe is maroon or "Aggie themed"...easy day!
FOMO crisis averted.

Day 3...
Wear red day.
We have ONE red shirt.
It is a shirt she got from cheer camp two summers ago, and it sorta fits.
I was gonna make her wear that, because this mama does not have time to go buy a red shirt for Red Ribbon week,
But praise Jesus for my friend Katy (the mother of Dannika's BFF), who randomly got these adorable shirts made for Dannika and all her besties.
FOMO crisis averted...again...thanks to my super "extra" mom friend...
(And Dannika's eyes look super Asian in this pic...kinda makes me happy because people always tell me she looks more white than Korean)

Day 4...
CRAZY HAIR DAY.
OH MY LORT....
D told me Wednesday (wear red day) that she wanted turquoise hair.
I told her if I can't find turquoise colored hair spray at Walgreens, she's not having turquoise hair.
I was not about to drive around town to Target and Wal-Mart to look for turquoise hair spray. 
Thankfully, Walgreens had it (in their Halloween aisle).
Then comes Thursday morning....
We're already running late, and D does NOT know how she wants her hair done...
Two pigtail buns?
No.
A "mohawk" braid?
No.
Pigtails? 
No.
"Well hell child...then i'm just putting your hair up in a ponytail and spraying it turquoise!"
Tear...lots of tears.
Pinterest to the rescue.
We finally agreed on a "bow bun" (Praise Jesus, because it was simple").
We were late for everything that morning (insert eyeroll)


Day 5...
School Spirit day!!! Wear your school shirt!
Simple right?
No...not in this family.
Thursday night, I asked D to get her school shirt out of her dresser and lay it out.
Panicked Dannika claims she can not find it!
Me: Well, then you're not wearing it. I'm not here to keep track of your clothes.
Tears. Lots of tears.
Then she decides that she will just wear "last year's" school shirt (which is purple...this year's is black),
I already know she's gonna suffer from FOMO when she shows up to school in last year's style, while everyone else is in this year's look.
Thankfully, I just happened to be folding laundry, and her current school shirt appeared.
FOMO crisis averted..,one last time for the week.



We still have two more days.
Tomorrow is camo day, and I actually found a Marine marpat cammie blouse in her size.
She'll be representin' all you devildogs tomorrow!
Tuesday is storybook character day, and my "extra" mom friend Katy hooked up all our girls with Dr. Seuss' "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" costumes!
Seriously...she is a lifesaver.
Everyone needs a mom friend like her in their life!
I will share those on my IG page this week (@dcb_blog)

And lastly...

My son's very first school photo. 

Seriously....do they get ANY cuter?!?!
I'll answer that question for you...no, they don't.



1 comment:

  1. Mattis is so adorable, I swear. So is Dannika! We sing "Death was Arrested" at church often and I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every, single comment! Thanks for the love!